Iran not worried by prospect of US strike Ahmadinejad

AFP
Thursday, March 22, 2007

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad told French television on Thursday that he was "not worried" by the prospect of US strikes against his country.
"We are not worried for two reasons. First of all the circumstances are not favourable for an attack of that kind. And I know that there are some wise people in the United States who wouldn't authorise that," Ahmadinejad told public channel France 2.

He also said he would present "new proposals" about Iran's nuclear programme and called US and British moves in the UN Security Council to impose tougher sanctions on Iran for its refusal to halt uranium enrichment "illegal."

"Of course we are going to make new proposals, good proposals. Our proposals are based on rights and laws and on the inalienable rights that all nations possess, not only what the United States and Great Britain want," he said.

"Uranium enrichment is legal. The American and British positions in the Security Council are illegal," he said.

The full 15-member Security Council was to meet behind closed doors at 5:00 pm (2100 GMT) on Thursday to discuss changes to a sanctions package agreed by six major powers last week followed amendments submitted by non-permanent members South Africa, Indonesia and Qatar.

The original draft, crafted by the Council's five veto-wielding permanent members -- Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States -- plus Germany, broadens sanctions already adopted by the Council in December after Iran repeatedly refused to halt uranium enrichment.

Western powers want Iran to halt its nuclear programme, fearing Tehran wants to develop nuclear weapons. Iran says its programme is for peaceful purposes.

Email

 


Web Prisonplanet

PRISON PLANET.com     Copyright 2002-2006 Alex Jones     All rights reserved.